Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Monday 8 March 2010

monday update

It's been a while since last post mainly due to ill health. Saturday before last John sustained what he poetically termed a 'rugby injury'. In fact he pulled a muscle in his calf whilst celebrating Ireland's rugby victory over England. He was attempting an Irish jig. Badly, it turns out. Then he got knocked out by a virus of some kind (karmic payback, I suspect, for telling porkies re the calf injury!). He is still coughing over a week later. I have had a version of same tho I have not made too much fuss about it!!! So following the accepted advice that if the symptoms are below the neck not to train, then we didn't. Until Saturday when the lure of my new saddle was too much to resist. How sad is that? John came out too clutching the allen key for minor adjustments. The saddle is amazing! I will try and post a photo so everyone reading this (all 2 of us) can appreciate it's beauty. Tho to fully grasp it's value you really need to ride on it for 16km or so. No soreness! Except in my arms which might indicate another minor adjustment will be necessary.
In the meantime Beth has ordered and taken delivery of her new beastie. She also has a blog which is www. le2jog.wordpress.com. So do pop over there and give her some rousing support. We should start riding out together this week with a bit of luck and good weather.
Today I took off on my own for another 16km ride. I had to almost physically restrain John from joining me. He is going stir crazy with the lack of exercise but is still sore-throated and coughing and really should not risk wind and cold invasion! And although he tells me it's not a matter of speed I was pleased that I did the trip 2 minutes quicker than we did it together on Saturday! I think he was of the opinion that I should just have gone further. Blah.
Must mention latest joinee of this trip.....introducing Alex-across-the-road. I believe he has already done some cycle trips (London to Brighton and one other which I will find out more about in due course). So it's two women and two men. Nice yin yang balance to that I think.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie,

    It sounds to me that you need to come to terms with a fact of cycling - it hurts. You can tinker with the saddle and handle bars as much as you like, it is still going to hurt. The trick is to treat it like smoking or drinking, which also hurts at first, and simply get addicted to cycling and the pain that comes with it!!

    Have fun out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! And the great feeling I get when I get home is (I believe) an indication of the addiction to come. Luckily I have 5 years of studying Ironmen at close hand to warn and inspire me. Thanks for that xxx
    PS I will continue to moan though....have also listened to you guys around noon every Saturday!

    ReplyDelete