Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Thursday 24 June 2010

Big hills, backache and brushes!

Now if anyone suggests to you that Jackie does not get enough exercise, just you tell them that on Thurs 24th June she cycled 28miles and walked at least 5 with the dogs. And the rest of the time she was up a ladder weilding a paint brush!
But I am getting ahead of myself....on Monday we were all scheduled for a 60mile ride. In two bursts with lunch in the middle. Unfortunately due to the sport of extreme decorating that John has introduced me to I had a very bad back. I was very despondent on Sunday, so much so that I whinged at Trusty...yes, me, whinge! I know, hard to believe, eh? Anyway Captain gave me a thorough pep talk re the feasibility of cycling 60 miles a day for 16 days in 10 weeks time. And now I am as compliant as can be. But dropped the idea of a 60miler this week. Instead Beth (who was also in pain with 'divers neck' - don't ask!) and I headed out and did the dastardly Cuckfield route. It was hilly alright but we did it 10 mins or so quicker than last time I did it. And we discovered the hills that aren't quite so steep are alot easier if we chat all the way up. So we were out for 2h18m and covered 27.6m or so.
That takes us to today when we did the same route the other way round. Ha! We thought it'd be less hilly!!! We are still too topographically ignorant (is there such a condition???) to work out why it wasn't and it actually took us a few minutes longer! Never mind it was a lovely ride with alot of downhills over very rough road surface. And I hit one pot hole full on down Picts Lane which might be why I have a painful upper back now to go with my aching lower back. But, of course, I never whinge so no-one will get to hear of it from me.
The decorating continues apace.. John is spending most time at the rockface, as it were. I am almost having to prise the paintbrush out of his hand at the end of each day. But anyone who knows John will not be at all surprised to hear of his endurance attitude to what is a mammoth task. (Paint an entire 4 bed house in about 10 days, including woodwork). We've had lots of help from the young folk (girlfriends as well!) which has been an enormous help.

No comments:

Post a Comment