Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Now for the hilly bits

So after yesterdays ride the trick was to get on the bikes with tired legs and do some more cycling. As Beth was in sole charge of the pub for the day (Simon off on some dry old business at a pub trade show...can you imagine what hard work that was going to be?) we had to be away early so we met up at 6.30. Yes, folks, that is a.m! I can hardly believe it myself, me , out on a bike at 6.30am. The cycle gods took kindly to us and made the sun shine so it was lovely once the early morning chill had disappeared.
Coach led the way initially and set a nice steady pace. We all knew that Houghton Hill was on our horizon so we were happy to stay behind and let our legs wake up a bit. Took longer for the endorphins to make themselves felt with me today but they did eventually and I have to say, I almost enjoyed Houghton Hill. To zip over the top of the Downs doing 30miles an hour on a bike on a sunny early morning. Wow, in the words of Irene whatever her name was "What a feeling!" And then to zip down Bury hill at 37 miles an hour on a bike......woooooooowheeeeee! Very exciting!
Then it occurred to me where John intended to take us next! We went all around Fittleworth which is also well hilly. Didn't see much of John at this stage - he just loves hills, mad fool. Alex commented that he suspected John was actually doing his own Ironman training today and had just dragged us along for the ride! I had to agree! Anyway we did it. I suffered a bit going home for a while - John thinks my refuelling is not good enough so I will make an effort to drink the sports drink and hydrate too. Refuelled when we got to McD's at Buck Barn. I don't recognise myself at the moment. All that cycling and now eating at McD's regularly when I really don't like them!
So we covered 47m in 4hrs at a slower speed I think. Below 12mph but that's fine considering the hills.
Now we are having a bit of bother booking accommodation for our nights in Cornwall. Seems Cornwall is full in the first week in Sept!

No comments:

Post a Comment