Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Day 11 - Glasgow to Crianlarich 43miles

I am sitting in a warm, toasty lounge looking overlooking the Trossachs National Park after a remarkable cycle alongside Loch Lomond for 20+ miles. We set off from our hotel this morning by van as John was depositing us where he collected us yesterday evening. Weather forecast for more of the same. Luckily we had all managed to hang our wet gear over radiators and dry them off overnight. John then had the job of going back to the hotel, collecting all our bags (and Trusty alone has 6!), driving back 20 or so miles to where the tyre fixers were going to supply him with a new spare for the van. Meanwhile we headed off, wrapped up and wondering what today had in store. The terrain was flat as we cycled along the Loch for most of the day. Marvellous views, despite frequent showers. We stopped at a nice hotel for a sandwich and a cuppa then took off again. All afternoon we were chasing rainbows that were forming, fading, teasing us to stop, dig out our cameras from assorted plastic bags and try and capture their beauty! Uh oh! Alex did say the scenery makes you want to get lyrical and I think it's happened! I've gone all Rabbie Burns!!!! Anyway we soon came across John who had thoughtfully pulled into a lovely hotel in Crianlarich to lead us the mile to this lovely cosy comfy b n b. So we had coffee at the hotel then came here. We have had a relaxing hour or so catching up with every thing. And this place even has a drying room so all our sodden gear is upstairs cooking away. Amazing what small things give such joy on a trip like this.
We have someone from the local hotel coming to collect us soon so we can go and eat there. Such friendly locals!
John was given a donation yesterday to my charity from the man who was in the tyre repair centre! Just in case anybody reading this would like to donate a little do go to www.justgiving.com/le-jog-blog In the meantime thanks so much again for reading this and all the texts that are coming in daily. Well done Dave A on your Sportive. We will join you for one in the autumn maybe! Hi Sal, I know you are reading even if you don't comment. Love to all there.
Well, gotta go and get myself ready for going out. Take care x

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read since I saw you guys in Bristol and now I'm up to date! It's just starting pooring with rain here. That's an exciting prospect for me as the flowers won't take so much water tomorrow but I hope you guys have some better weather for the final stretch! I did have a little laugh to myself when I saw the forecast for gale force winds in Scotland. lol.
    Anyway...good luck to everyone!
    Love you mum!

    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that John is having his fair share, especially as you folks are having to do the real hard work. Seriously though what a great team effort. I understand not much more to go now, but I bet some fantastic scenery if only the weather holds off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chasing rainbows, that has to be a good omen?! May it shine for the final leg of your challenge. Bit worried about Alex getting lyrical, whatever you do don't let him sing! You'll be pleased to hear it's been wet here too. No way as wet as for you guys but Finn, Boudi and I have had some fun adventures. God, does your boy love water! That is, until I shower him when we get home. What do they say about the smell of wet dogs? Keep blogging - I'd be lost without you. D + F + B xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to spend the day - chasing rainbows. I am almost jealous but then I think of the hundreds of miles of cylcing you have done and my enthusiasm wanes... It is certainly going to be a ride to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I look at the weather forecast I think of you guys and wince! Almost home and hosed now, you are just an energy gel away from the end of the long, long road. Think of how good it will feel when you get there.
    Sally and Dave.

    ReplyDelete