Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Saturday 18 September 2010

Day 15 - Golspie to Wick 50miles

For anybody reading both Beth's and my blogs I would like to point out a) I wrote my blog yesterday afternoon before we hit the bar! And b) I went to bed way before everyone else after a moderate alcohol intake!!!! Seems I missed a good time tho. I am just not as able to cycle when 'fragile' as the rest of the team! It didn't stop everyone being up and at 'em early and Trusty discovered my tyre had a slow puncture. So himself and John wrangled with that for a while. John took off in the van determined to join us for the last leg of today's ride. We had some dastardly plans to take a different route from him so we wouldn't have to try and keep up with him on the last leg. But that wouldn't have been nice, would it? So we tootled off and did have a couple of lumps to climb. The first was a long long slow climb which took me about 20mins. I could have gone quicker but I wanted to do it and not be out of breath. Which I accomplished. This new saddle is working a treat. The Spiderflex was just not up to the job in hand and I should have just bitten the bullet and trained with the normal one. Hindsight is great isn't it? Maybe for our next ride? Trip across America has been mooted for anyone thinking of joining us! Oh and my new big ring is helping. (Thanks for your comment Col, Slack Alice is no more!).
So we then came across a real sharp climb (13%) leading to a long draggy up bit. But poley poley won the day and the views on the way up were worth it. We'd way over ridden our usual coffee break stop so we made a pit stop at a Spar shop for a snack though I couldn't eat. Which made the next few miles hard work for me. It is important to keep re-fuelling on trips like this and today I didn't and it showed! Luckily we hadn't far to go to catch up with John where he'd parked up at a hotel. We had a nice lunch and then took off with John in front, as is his way on these legs! Not surprisingly the last  15miles sped by! Before long we were freewheeling into Wick with only 18 miles left to cover tommoro. And, in theory, this should be  a breeze.

4 comments:

  1. Last entries coming and I'm guessing that final Day will be a great one for all albeit tinged with some sadness. You've all managed a great feat well done - see you all soon back in the land of the 'not living quite so well'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you are so nearly there! Time to celebrate, big time. ENJOY! You are heroes, in all our lives. Whatever are you going to do next?! It's all down to you that le2jog happened so please prewarn me so I know what Alex is planning - ahead of our marriage! We are all missing you. Took F + B out for a massive walk today. B was knackered towards the end but F kept on going. Now where does he get that from??!! Sleeping like babies tonight but know we'll all be doing it again tomorrow. Come home soon. We're missing you! D + F + B xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nearly there - what a feat! Does Jon inspire people to do this sort of thing everywhere you have lived? I bet there are pockets of people throughout England, Portugal and elsewhere that have climbed mountains, jogged hundreds of miles and hand-glided across oceans because of a conversation with Jon in the pub! Well done to all of you and look forward to your return to hear all about it despit having read all about it for the last two weeks. Enjoy your celebrations tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well D you have had your own endurance event looking after our pup so well! Thanks so much, it would have been a nightmare to have had to worry about his walks and welfare on this trip! Bet you can't wait for your holiday? See you soon, love Jackie x

    ReplyDelete