Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Fabulous Forty (not my age, I wish).

FORTY MILES, FORTY MILES FORTY MILES....FORTY MILES, FORTY MILES, FORTY MIIIIIILLLLLES!!!
But before I write another word I must just say how absolutely spectacular Agent Alex's hair looked today. When we stopped for a coffee and he took his helmet off we all gasped in admiration. There Alex, is that sufficient?
So even though we had done the big quick ride on Sunday everyone thought it'd be good to go out and do even more miles today. The reason being, as I said, I need to get ahead of myself as I am on a week off next week. Beth is losing two weekends cycling and Alex just doesn't have the sense to say 'no'!
The weather was even hotter and sunnier than it has been and we headed off at 8am straight into the morning rush hour. Yes, sleepy Sussex does have one! I have to own up to struggling a fair bit as my legs felt very empty..despite early night last night. I did loosen up eventually and am certainly a lot nippier up the hills than I have been recently but the going was tough to start. Alex left home like a speeding bullet and there was no catching him for quite a while. We had to wait for the discomfort and pain to set in with him before he slowed down! We stopped at my favourite petrol station (yes, I have one) for a refuel of coffee and chocolate. This is not normal and I think was John's way of encouraging us during our longest ride yet. My chain came off because I forgot and did that silly gear thing again. Beth and I got ahead of Alex and John for a while. I'd like to say it was because they were much slower but it was because they were adjusting Alex's saddle. We finally made it home and had cycled for 3hrs4mins at an average of well over 13mph. As Alex's and Beth's computers read different stats it is hard to be precise. But we did cover 40.3 miles! A milestone indeed.
And I would like to clarify that Trusty Ironman is perfectly sound in mind and body! The broken big ring that was hampering him on the last ride belongs  to his bike! Just in case anyone was wondering!

1 comment:

  1. Honestly I hope nobody had interpreted 'broken big ring' as some sort of prison initiation rite. lol

    ReplyDelete