Finished at last!

Finished at last!
The whole team plus Paul who had just walked it in 66 days!

White Horse Riders

White Horse Riders
John O'Groats here we come!

Thursday 1 April 2010

Big hills, no spills!

Monday dawned bright and beautiful – which is just why we wanted to come here to cycle! So we piled the bikes in the car and headed up to a spot somewhere a long way away! The first part of our ride took us back to near Tocon. It was even more hilly than I had done so far but I am getting better at selecting gears and engaging patience. As long as I just keep moving forward (and upward) and do not expect speed then the hills seem to get climbed. Haven’t got to employing one of John’s tactics yet – which is to mutter ‘I will kill you hill’ all the way up! Perhaps I will save that for steeper climbs.
It is so quiet on the roads around here. I guess it’s the time of year. And it’s amusing to note that we are out in minimum clothing. I don’t mean speedo’s and bikini , obviously. But only light layers and shorts for John rather than leggings. The Spanish cyclists we encounter are all wrapped up in long leggings and winter clothes! They must think we are very hardy! I did wonder – do you think they dream about going to UK to cycle in cooler weather? Mind you, they are very stylish with their peacock colours and designer styles. Makes me think I must look into smartening up a bit! Especially as I suspect Alex-across-the-road will cut quite the dash as far as clothing is concerned. Beth, I feel a shopping expedition coming on!
Apart from my chain coming off (panicking about the impending hill coming back into Illora!) this was a wonderfully uneventful ride. And I was aghast to find we had cycled 15+ miles! Who’d have thought it? Just a few weeks ago a 7 miler on the mountain bike was my upper limit.
We cycled back to our villa and John then headed off for his own cycle taking the long route round to get the car. He seems to be managing quite well with the splinted digit.

No comments:

Post a Comment